Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Rest in Peace, Senator Graham

By John R. Byrne

Senator Bob Graham passed away yesterday. He was a great leader for Florida and our country during his years as a state representative, state senator, Governor of Florida, and, most recently, as a United States Senator from 1986 to 2005. 

During his nearly 20 years in the Senate, the Harvard Law graduate helped select numerous district and circuit court federal judges, many of whom are still serving today.

Graham was well-respected on both sides of the political aisle, reflected by key positions he held, including as chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee in the aftermath of the 2001 terrorist attacks. And he was a true Floridian, born and raised in Coral Gables and attending the University of Florida as an undergraduate.

The Herald covers his incredible life and career here. If you hit a paywall, here is the AP write up

Rest in peace, Senator Graham.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to like him until his smug daughter started trading on his legacy for her own political ambition.

Anonymous said...

She should have been governor. We'd be much better off.

Anonymous said...

I met him 10 years ago in the parking lot of the Miami Lakes Golf Club. He and his wife were wandering around aimlessly and i asked him if he needed help. He looked at me and I instantly recognized him. About as unpretentious a man as you could ever meet. I told him he was the only Democrat my father ever voted for. In a deadpan manner, he said "your father must be a very smart man." My sense of humor was on that day. I asked if he could take a picture of me and his wife because she was "strikingly beautful." He took a few pictures. Made my day!

Anonymous said...

As is typical, her Party was too stupid to nominate her.

Will Rogers said...

I’m not a member of any organized political party…. I’m a Democrat.