The Deepwater Horizon explosion was arguably the worst environmental disaster in United States history. In its effort to assign blame, the government pointed the finger at a number of individuals who turned out to be scapegoats, including Robert Kaluza, the off-duty rig supervisor who was filling in for a few days. David Gerger discusses his successful defense in this episode of For the Defense.
Robert Kaluza, a well site manager for BP during the 2010 explosion on board the Deepwater Horizon oil rig, center, arrives at federal court with his attorneys Shaun Clarke, left, and David Gerger, right, in New Orleans, Louisiana.
Previous episodes this Season include:
- Alan Dershowitz (O.J. Simpson): Dersh discusses the trial of the century and other fascinating legal topics with his former student. Listen here.
- Jose Baez (Casey Anthony): Jose Baez has become known as one of the go-to trial lawyers, and it was the Casey Anthony case that thrust him onto the national stage. Listen here.
- Ron Sullivan (Aaron Hernandez): All hope was lost for Aaron Hernandez after he lost his first murder trial. Enter Harvard Law Professor Ron Sullivan who represented Hernandez at murder trial #2 and won against all odds. Listen here.
- Rob Cary (Sen. Ted Stevens): You would think that prosecutors would be on their best behavior in a case against a sitting U.S. Senator and one of Alaska’s founding fathers, but it took Rob Cary to uncover jaw-dropping and far-reaching prosecutorial misconduct. Listen here.
- Jayne Weintraub (Yahweh Ben Yahweh): Cutting off ears, death angels, and a Temple of Love. Another day at the office in Miami’s Justice Building where Jayne Weintraub defended who some called a cult-leader and others called a savior. Listen here.
- Abbe Lowell (John Edwards): The future was bright for Vice-Presidential nominee and Presidential candidate John Edwards until he was indicted in federal court for a cover up involving an extra-marital affair. He needed Abbe Lowell’s trial skills to keep him out a prison cell. Listen here.
- Michael Tigar (Terry Nichols): Who would represent one of the most-hated criminal defendants of all time, accused of blowing up the federal building in Oklahoma City? None other than the dean of the criminal defense bar, Michael Tigar.
To receive Florida CLE credit for Season 1, email me at email@example.com (Season 2 was recently approved for CLE and we will send the code at the end of the season).
Please send me your feedback -- and of course, subscribe, like and comment! If you would like to receive these updates, please sign up here.
Thank you! --David
CONTACT: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com