Tuesday, February 06, 2024

“I’ll be 70 years old in a few months and it just seemed like the perfect time for me to step aside and make room for someone younger to have an opportunity to serve on the Eleventh Circuit.”

 That's Judge Charles Wilson in his interview with the DBR, available here, about taking senior status (which this blog broke at this post).  Here's a snippet of the interesting article:

Following law school, Wilson served as a law clerk for Judge Joseph Hatchett, the first Black judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth and Eleventh circuits. Around that time, he also met his wife, with whom he would have two children. From there, he engaged in private practice in Tampa for five years and earned accolades such as the most productive young lawyer by the Hillsborough County Bar Association.

“I practiced whatever paid the rent,” Wilson recalled. “I hung out my shingle and it was probably the best thing I could do in my career. I tried civil and criminal cases to conclusion before juries in federal and state courts. I had a general practice. I provided representation to clients in just about any case. It was a great background for a judicial career.”

Wilson went on to devote himself to public service and was later appointed as a U.S. magistrate judge in the Middle District of Florida. Then, following his recruitment by Janet Reno, the U.S. attorney general, Wilson was appointed by President Bill Clinton to serve as the U.S. attorney for the Middle District of Florida.

In September 1999, Wilson was sworn in as an Eleventh Circuit judge following his appointment by Clinton to fill the vacancy created by Hatchett’s retirement.

Wilson said that one of the lessons he imparts to his law clerks is how to conduct themselves as young lawyers. Wilson said he applied three times to serve as a federal district court judge, landed an interview the third time, but was ultimately not selected.

“I just kept my head down and worked hard and earned a reputation in the community,” Wilson said. ”Several years later I was selected to serve as a judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals. And there I was reviewing decisions by the district judges who were appointed when I was not selected as a district judge.”

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep your head down and great things will happen. That is exactly how the world works.

Anonymous said...

Any rumors on who Biden will nominate for Wilson's seat?

Anonymous said...

Judge Wilson has been a very good judge. But one personal experience has overwhelmed my view of him. I had an argument set before the court and he was the presiding judge. My mother passed away the day before the argument. In a state I quickly contacted opposing and other counsel. They all graciously agreed to a postponement. I contacted the court and explained I would be filing a motion. Before I filed the motion I received a call back and was told that the judge said the motion would be denied and I should arrange to have someone else argue the case or waive argument. I was in disbelief but I guess I should not have been.

Anonymous said...

@510 - I'm very sorry that happened to you. That's just disgusting. The judge should be personally ashamed of himself.

Anonymous said...

not surprising given the egomaniacs on the court

Anonymous said...

That's nothing, 5:10 p.m. Didn't a local district judge once deny a motion for a continuance because, in the judge's view, undergoing *cancer treatment* didn't constitute good cause?!?!