Wednesday, February 24, 2016

President Obama, Guest Blogger on SCOTUSblog

Wow, this is so cool. Check out the guest post by President Obama, titled "A Responsibility I Take Seriously":

The Constitution vests in the President the power to appoint judges to the Supreme Court. It’s a duty that I take seriously, and one that I will fulfill in the weeks ahead.

It’s also one of the most important decisions that a President will make. Rulings handed down by the Supreme Court directly affect our economy, our security, our rights, and our daily lives.

Needless to say, this isn’t something I take lightly. It’s a decision to which I devote considerable time, deep reflection, careful deliberation, and serious consultation with legal experts, members of both political parties, and people across the political spectrum. And with thanks to SCOTUSblog for allowing me to guest post today, I thought I’d share some spoiler-free insights into what I think about before appointing the person who will be our next Supreme Court Justice.
 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's clearly describing Judge Jordan.

Anonymous said...


Rumpole criticized you for using the word Yikes. I can't imagine what he has to say about "Wow, this is so cool".

I caught this as well and thought it was way cool.

Anonymous said...

'Berto!

Rumpole said...

its all good. Cool.

Anonymous said...

Someone needs to explain to Obama -- and fast -- that the Senate does not consider the person he appoints, but rather the person he nominates. He only gets to appoint someone with the advice and consent of the Senate. The president (and constitutional law professor) should know better.

Anonymous said...

Hey 11:38, I am sure the President knows that he first nominates and then appoints after the Senate does its job. There are very few cases where a nominee has been rejected, and usually for very good reason--see Bork. Yes, I said Bork. But The Republican majority has sworn not to do its job. They haven't waited to see if the President nominates a fringe thinker like Bork. He will nominate a clearly qualified moderate to slightly liberal Judge. They will refuse to vote. They should all be impeached, or, better yet, voted out of office.

And they should be ashamed, but shame left the Republican party long ago.