Monday, May 23, 2011

Bail for 76-year old Imam? UPDATE -- nope

I was planning another rant (see here and here) this morning on the bail reform act and how DOJ's asks for detention way more than it should. But I have a small fire drill this morning on a case that I have to deal with...

John Pacenti and Jay Weaver have articles about the terrorism charges and the bond hearing this morning for Hafiz Muhammad Sher Ali Khan. Needless to say, I'm not sure why there couldn't be conditions of release set for Khan and his son that would ensure that he shows up for court and not engage in criminal activity. It's almost impossible to prepare for any trial, let alone a trial with classified material, while your client is detained (especially in the special housing unit).

I do like that I'll be able to say KHAN on the blog for the foreseeable future:



UPDATE -- Judge Garber denied bond for Khan and his son.

2 comments:

Rumpole said...

Totally geeky with the ST-WOK reference.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Bob!