Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Verdict

After six weeks of trial and seven days of deliberations, I'm very excited to post that my client (and four of the other 9 defendants) were found not guilty today. What an unbelievable feeling. Many people wonder why criminal defense lawyers do what they do. There is no better feeling in the world than hearing those two magical words. Nothing better.

I salute the lawyers I was honored to work with in this case. Roy Black, Maria Neyra, Jackie Perzek, Jared Lopez, Alex Zipperrer, John Ossick, Tom Withers, Nate Diamond, George Vila, John Howes, Scott Srebnick, Hy Shapiro, and Ed Tolley. The prosecutors -- Jim Durham, Fred Kramer, Joe Newman, and Jeff Buerstette -- were gentlemen and excellent lawyers. Judge Edenfield ran a tight ship and made what could have been a 4 month trial a six week trial. His staff was also great.

I knew we'd get a verdict today because my wife and new baby hopped on a plane at 12:30 to come visit me in Savannah. We got the verdict at 12:35... No joke.

What an experience. More to follow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations David! Best wishes to you and your client... on the win and to you on the birth of your little one. jtoep

Anonymous said...

Congrats David.
Todd Michaels

Anonymous said...

I heard you also had an outstanding multimedia technician ;)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You did a great job! Your closing argument was the best that I've seen in my short career. Roy's 30 minutes on the first day gave you a run for your money, though. Also, to not thank the paralegals is like building a house without a foundation.

David Oscar Markus said...

Thanks for the nice words. And I agree, the paralegals and everyone else were unbelievable.