Sunday, March 26, 2006

JUDGE HENRY LEYTE-VIDAL HAS PASSED AWAY

Hello Federal Blog readers. Some of you read my State Court Blog, where I am infamously known as "Rumpole". David Markus was kind enough to invite me to be a guest blogger during his trial and absence from the Southern District. I am sorry that my first post on this blog brings such sad news. We have lost a wonderful Circuit Court Judge for the second time in a few months. The following is an email we received from one of our readers:

Judge Henry Leyte-Vidal has passed away yesterday. He died during the night while at Mt. Sinai hospital on Miami Beach. He was operated earlier this week for cancer. He has previously battled a brain tumor, skin cancer and I believe lung cancer. Henry came out of the operation OK but complained of some pain on Friday. The doctors were going to go back in but couldn't since he had low blood pressure (Could've been high, he suffered from one of these two). Since the doctors were unable to stabilize his blood pressure, they were unable to go back in. He then suffered cardiac arrest. and was placed back in ICU. This was all yesterday . Last night, He seemed to have stabilized when he died. Peter Heller just called me so I am passing it on to you. Peter was very close to Henry. They coached Little League together and Peter was with his son Danny throughout the day. Danny is 14yrs old. Judge Leyte-Vidal is also survived by two older sons Alex and Henrique or Enrique from an earlier marriage.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a tragedy. He coulda been a good federal judge.

Anonymous said...

I knew Judge Leyte-Vidal very well, and clerked for him as a first year law student. He was an amazing person, a loving father and a fair judge. If you knew him, you were better because of it.

Anonymous said...

I have known Henry all my life,his parents and my parents were friends before I was born. Henry was like another son to my father and he was always there for us! Henry has joined my beloved father and brother August Joseph Paluzzi Sr. and August Joseph Paluzzi Jr. Henry's children and family are in our thoughts and prayers, the world has lost a beautiful person. All my love Jacqueline Paluzzi-Creel

Anonymous said...

This great man was the Judge in my wife's case. She is a Police Officer and was brutally beaten for over 5 full minutes by an escaped prisoner. He could have gotten away, but chose to stay and nearly kill her. Judge Leyte-Vidal saved our lives by taking this animal off the street for 40+ years even though the jury didn't quite get it right. He will always live on our hearts. b

Anonymous said...

i knew his son. and even though i didnt know him the apple falls from the tree...and his son is a amazing.

Anonymous said...

Henry was a rare man of honor, bravery and sophistication. Miami has been made poorer by his passing. If there were more men cut from the same cloth the world would be a better place. Luckily he left a legacy: he lived his life with a sense of urgency and wasted not a moment; doing more good in one lifetime than a thousand sheepeople.

Unknown said...

Judging from all the comments this was pretty fair liked guy,that wasnt the case for me in his courtroom i missed 5 mins of rollcall and got locked up for 7 mos. I guess i missed that wave!#RIP #Judgeaccordingly