Thursday, April 07, 2022

A new way to get out of jury service.

 Ahhh, you gotta love South Florida.  A juror in the Nikolas Cruz case was let go because she was too busy with her sugar daddy.  I kid you not.  From the New York Post:

A prospective juror for the sentencing of Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz told the judge she wouldn’t have time for the civic duty — because she’s both married and has a “sugar daddy.”

Parkland gunman Nikolas Cruz pleaded guilty in October to 17 counts of first-degree murder and 17 counts of attempted murder in connection with the massacre.

***During the proceeding, Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer asked whether she had missed anyone with concerns or questions, courtroom video shows.

“Did you have a question?” she asks one of the prospective jurors, whom she identified as “Miss Bristol.”

“This is a whole entire month,” the woman replies. “First of all let me clarify myself, July 2nd is my birthday, July 4th is my son, and the 18th is my other son.”

Scherer tells her to slow down.

“Don’t talk too fast, we have to be able to understand … so you said that the July, there’s dates in July that you’re not available? What are those dates?” the judge asks.

“July 7th, July 4th, and July 18th … And again, I need to figure out something. I have my sugar daddy that I see every day,” Bristol answers.

I’m sorry?” Scherer asks in a deadpan manner as she cocks her head.

My sugar daddy,” Bristol repeats.

“OK, I’m not exactly sure what you’re talking about but we’ll …,” the judge interjects.

“I’m married, and I have my sugar daddy. I see him every day,” Bristol says.

“OK. All right. Ma’am, we’ll come back to you, OK? Thank you,” Scherer responds.

More than 120 of the first 160 prospective jurors were dismissed — including Bristol, Fox News reported.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny. At least she was being honest. I once saw a potential juror try and get out of jury service in front of Judge Huck. The potential juror stated he could not be fair in a blatant attempt to be excused. Judge Huck did not fall for it. The guy was not picked for the jury but Judge Huck ordered him to appear in the gally of the courtroom to watch the trial. Sure enough the guy showed up and sat in the courtroom. After day 2 Judge Huck dismissed him and told him that he hoped her learned a good civics lesson :)