Friday, July 12, 2024

RIP Neal Sonnett (UPDATED with remarks from Judges Milton Hirsch and Miguel de la O, and Ed Shohat; and lots of other great ones in the comments)

The guy was a legend. A former AUSA and a long-time criminal defense lawyer who was always fighting for the cause. Neal served as president of the Dade County Bar Association, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, FACDL-Miami, and as chair of the American Bar Association Criminal Justice Section; he is also past president of the University of Miami Law Alumni Association.

2006 – Neal R. Sonnett | Criminal Law Section of The Florida Bar

UPDATED with comments from Judge Milton Hirsch, Judge Miguel de la O, and Ed Shohat -- others in the comments:

1. Like you, I could tell stories about lunches we had, drinks we had, NACDL events we enjoyed.  But I know -- and you know -- what stories he'd want us to tell.  He'd want us to tell trial stories.

Once upon a time we had codefendants in a multi-defendant case in federal court in Gainesville.  I took a room at a place named Johnson Howard's, or something like that.  Neal took two rooms -- one for him to sleep in and one for him to prep in.  He laid in a supply of ready-to-eat food, he locked himself in his rooms, and he prepped for trial into the wee small hours every night.  

At the close of the government's case in chief, Neal moved to dismiss for failure of venue.  I did too.  (I believe my actual argument was, "Um . . . me, too.)  The motion was granted.  (All other defendants were stuck in trial to the bitter, and unwelcome, end.)  Upon the granting of "our" (Neal's) motion, my client started babbling about how his innocence had been vindicated.  Neal and I dragged him out of the courtroom (Neal's sensibly silent client bringing up the rear) and back to Miami.

And I was disappointed.  I had seen and heard Neal in closing on a number of occasions, and I was actually sorry that I wouldn't get to see it again in that particular trial.  Think about how good he had to be: I was actually a little disappointed, all the way from Gainesville to Miami, that I got out on a Rule 29.

He never turned away a fellow criminal-defense lawyer who had a question about best trial practices, and he never made a fellow criminal-defense lawyer feel foolish for asking.  His late dear friend Albert Krieger was like that, too.  Now they're both gone.  Those who didn't know them will never know how much they've missed.

Ilene joins me in sending love and condolences to Pat.

Milt Hirsch

2. Neal was a lawyer's lawyer and the epitome of professionalism and ethics. He, Jon Sale, Ben Kuehne, and David Tucker saved me from a career of only practicing civil law. I was his associate for nearly four years. Neal "second chaired" my first federal criminal case. And he did me the honor of speaking at my investiture. My admiration and respect for him is boundless.

Soon after starting the criminal division, Neal was counsel on a matter. I disclosed my history with Neal, but the prosecutor didn't ask me to recuse. So I brought them side bar and told the prosecutor to rethink his position because he would never be able to convince me that any representation Neal made was anything other than 100% accurate. Neal was so respected that the prosecutor not only refused to recuse me but said he would take Neal's word over his own!

Neal was also incredibly generous. When I formed my own firm, he let me and my partner use two of the offices in his suite rent-free for months. A mitzvah I never forgot and when I paid it forward, I made sure to give Neal credit.

He will be dearly missed. May his memory always be a blessing to Pat, his family, and the legal profession. I know it will be to me.

 --Miguel de la O

 3. Neal Sonnett was the embodiment of a lawyers’ lawyer. He was, quite simply, the most skilled trial lawyer I have ever known.

 But well beyond his impressive skills as a trial lawyer, Neal was unremittingly devoted to protecting and improving the profession. His unparalleled work for both the NACDL and the ABA, as both a leader and innovator will stand the test of all time greats. For just one example, it as through Neal’s and Al Krieger’s tireless work that Congress amended the money laundering law to add a safe harbor for legal fees to 18 U.S.C. section 1957, Transaction Money Laundering.

News of Neal’s passing has already produced an avalanche of tributes to “the Lion of the bar”. And that is exactly what Neal was. 

As a longtime mentor, law partner and friend,  I will never forget Neal. 

--Ed Shohat


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neal was also a treasure at UM Law School. He was always there for events, for fund-raising, and was one of the most entertaining MCs ever. He will be sorely missed. He was one of those people that make you feel proud to be a lawyer. Joe Klock

David Tucker said...

Im so sad. I was with Neal for ten years. He was my mentor, my friend, colleague. He had a heart of gold. He is probably one of the more influential people in my life. He taught me that practicing law is a privilege and an obligation. That representing clients goes beyond the courtroom. He started me in my career in white collar law in South Florida. I cannot count the number of cases and trials we had together but I was always amazed at his skill not only with juries but with judges. I watched him cross exam witnesses and bring them around to making them our witness. I witnessed him talking to Judges as they reversed whatever decisions they had made. I was but one of many young lawyers he mentored through the years. This is a monumental loss to the Bar…while we had arguments at times, I always loved him…he always cared and I felt it. He did so much for the community..he had a real impact in so many areas of the law.
Everything he did was with honor and dignity. A part of me is gone ☹

Miguel M. de la O said...

Neal was a lawyer's lawyer and the epitome of professionalism and ethics. He, Jon Sale, Ben Kuehne, and David Tucker saved me from a career of only practicing civil law. I was his associate for nearly four years. Neal "second chaired" my first federal criminal case. And he did me the honor of speaking at my investiture. My admiration and respect for him is boundless.

Soon after starting the criminal division, Neal was counsel on a matter. I disclosed my history with Neal, but the prosecutor didn't ask me to recuse. So I brought them side bar and told the prosecutor to rethink his position because he would never be able to convince me that any representation Neal made was anything other than 100% accurate. Neal was so respected that the prosecutor not only refused to recuse me but said he would take Neal's word over his own!

Neal was also incredibly generous. When I formed my own firm, he let me and my partner use two of the offices in his suite rent-free for months. A mitzvah I never forgot and when I paid it forward, I made sure to give Neal credit.

He will be dearly missed. May his memory always be a blessing to Pat, his family, and the legal profession. I know it will be to me.

Bob Becerra said...

Always affable, friendly and easily approachable as a person, on top of being a great lawyer. A real loss.

Stephen Bronis said...

The passing of three criminal defense giants. Jay Hogan, Albert Krieger and now, sadly Neal Sonnett.

I had the privilege of collaborating with Neal defending several cases as well as serving with him as Florida Bar delegates to the national ABA conventions. Therefore, I was able to witness a great trial attorney and a champion of the criminal justice system.

Whenever Neal addressed fellow ABA national delegates on matters pertaining to criminal justice issues his presentations and positions were held in the highest esteem.

Rest in peace Neal.

Andrew Simmons Feldman said...

I had the privilege of working for Neal for the better part of 7 years. He took a chance on me as a second-year law student while I was at the University of Miami and then hired me as his full-time associate. The experience I gained and the lessons I learned were invaluable. Not “invaluable” like the “invaluable” you might include in a cover letter for a position. No, I mean I am not sure how I could ever begin to appraise the intrinsic value of the experience I acquired while working with Neal and the lessons I learned from Neal. Neal was one-of-a-kind.

It is also indisputable that I would not have been able to muster the courage to launch my firm nor would I be where I am today if Neal had not given me (a young law student at the time) that opportunity.

Neal was a mentor, a friend, a leader, an inspiration, and someone who worked tirelessly and passionately for equality and justice. To Neal, injustices were unacceptable, and he was going to right any wrong he could through his undivided loyalty to NACDL and the ABA, among others. Neal’s work ranged from changing the money laundering rules to fiercely fighting to eliminate Guantanamo Bay. As Bruce Udolf once correctly noted “Neal is dean of the white-collar bar.” Neal inspired me to become more involved in the ABA and taught me the importance of devoting myself to improving the practice of law and lawyering.

During my first federal criminal trial with Neal, even the AUSA (an experienced AUSA) was shocked that Neal let me cross-examine the government’s only witness in a complex environmental crimes trial. 100% of big law partners would not have let me do that. But that was Neal. And those were the moments in between the years that helped me develop as a young lawyer and gain confidence. Thank you, Neal. During that same trial, Neal completely eviscerated the “industry expert” in a way I have never seen with a combination of ju-jitsu and straight talk. I remember that the “expert” ran out of that courtroom with his face down, completely embarrassed and upset. I am not sure I have ever seen anything like that. The jury could not reach a verdict which I thought was a great result.

Practicing under Neal, I became accustomed to these unicorn-type results. Most of Neal’s clients were never charged or, if they were, did not go to prison. And, if they did, it was for something like 4 months. I recall a case where the government wanted 5-10 years and without any cooperation or restitution it ended in 4 months and the government received a good tongue thrashing from the judge in New Jersey.

In Neal’s last federal criminal trial in Brooklyn (Neal’s hometown), I had the pleasure of second-chairing the trial with Neal after I had gone out on my own. Neal was dynamic and charismatic as usual. In fact, before deliberation began, the district judge (who was the former US Attorney for EDNY) praised Neal’s devotion to the profession and thanking him for allowing her to witness his cross-examinations in that case which she described as some of the best she had ever seen in her career on and off the bench. I second her remarks. I still have not seen anything like a Neal cross.

One of Neal’s last cases was the Bravo case – an extradition case. And the result – much like Neal -- was prolific. After DOJ requested the client’s extradition to Argentina for murder a second time (and 10 years after losing the first time), Judge Torres issued a lengthy decision denying their request (again). Neal was the best even at the very end. Lawyers very rarely win extradition cases. Neal did it twice though.

Before Neal was even a lawyer, Neal was a star. And Neal’s voice (I can still hear it) was a mix between a famous radio announcer and a Broadway star. Neal was also the most ethical lawyer I have ever met. I still employ the “Neal test” when I face a difficult or complex issue: what would Neal do? Lastly, Neal was approachable and would never make you feel your age even though he possessed all the wisdom that he did.

Neal, I will miss you immensely.

Love to Pat and Brad.