Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Mary Barzee Flores is running for Congress

Mary Barzee Flores is running for Congress. Ileana's seat. Mary is a former federal defender and was nominated by Obama to be a federal district judge. But Marco Rubio blocked her by not signing the blue slip. So she is fighting back. From her email this morning:

After a few years serving clients in private practice, I again answered the call to public service when President Obama nominated me to serve as a Federal District Court Judge for the Southern District of Florida. Although I enjoyed strong support from Democrats and Republicans, Senator Marco Rubio blocked my nomination. He complained about my support of progressive organizations like the ACLU and EMILY’s List.
Marco Rubio disagrees with my political views. I disagree with his.
So I can understand why Marco Rubio would not want me on the federal bench. He won’t want me in Congress either.
Petty partisan politics prevented me -- like Judge Merrick Garland and so many other Obama federal court nominees -- from fulfilling President Obama's call to public service. But I’m persistent and I don’t give up easily. I remain committed to serving this community and this country.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome news. I'm so glad she's throwing her hat in the ring. It is so uplifting to see accomplished, capable, passionate people getting involved in politics. Despite our extreme frustration at the state of affairs, most of us (including yours truly) sit idly by (except for maybe voting every 2/4 years and yelling at the TV) and simply hope things will change for the better. Mary is now out there looking to create that change and improve life for Floridians and Americans. We need more like her. Kudos to her. She is driven, and I hope she goes far.

Anonymous said...

She should have run against Rubio.

Anonymous said...

Strong!

Anonymous said...

State ASA here. I think she did an excellent job when she was here in criminal court and I think the world of her based on her knowledge and demeanor

But, I believe that Jose Javier Rodriguez, my former representative and now state senator is the best candidate for the seat.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to voting for her, absolutely.

Anonymous said...

Marco Rubio is absurd.