Wednesday, October 05, 2011

RIP Steve Jobs

I remember my first computer -- an Apple IIe. I was the happiest kid in Kendall when we got it. There was no internet then, but I started a BBS called The Shire with a dial-up modem and two floppy disc drives. I'll never forget how cool I thought it was to be able to get baseball box scores from Compuserve right after the game ended. The lines would stream across the screen, one by one. I've never been able to throw that computer away. Much to my wife's chagrin, it still sits in our garage...

Here's Jobs' commencement speech from Stanford in 2005. It's worth watching for some inspiration:

4 comments:

Rumpole said...

I thought that was you on Compuserv.

Anonymous said...

Dude, that Apple IIe is worth more now than when you got it. That was an awesome machine, you could actually program it and it was great for multimedia. My first was a Radio Shack TRS80 (aka a trash80). You had to save your info on a cassette tape (no joke).

Anonymous said...

Steve Jobs dies and Palin announces she's not running. Worst night ever.

Steve said...

"I started a BBS called The Shire" . . . Geek!!!